Thursday, August 13, 2015

SENDING FLIES TO CHARLIE
Here is an image of Betty’s first letter to her younger brother Charlie Jondle. Notice the cartoon of the soldier in a tank and a little bird on the top of the stationary. It makes war look fun and happy. Of course we know that it really was not. Perhaps this stationary was designed to make the folks on the home-front feel a little better about the situation that their loved ones faced.

Following are the contents of Betty's second letter, written and sent just five days after the first; even so, there is an indication that Charlie had not yet received Betty’s first letter. In these days of email, texts and cell phones it can be hard for us to recall or imagine when it took days or even weeks to reach a loved one by letter. 
In this letter Betty writes more about life on the farm and makes a little joke about sending Charlie some flies. She refers to the kerosene lamp that lit the room, probably the kitchen where she wrote the letter. The Miklos did not have electricity until they moved to the farm north of Clare in 1948.
Lehigh, Iowa
July 25, 1945
Dear Charlie,
I just got done listening to the ten-fifteen news, and I’ll write you a few lines before going to bed. This is my only chance to write, after I have my work done up. We are being kept pretty busy. Steve started cutting oats today. He has a neighbor running the binder. 
It’s still awful hot out here, but then we need it. It rained last night. 
We haven’t eaten any chickens yet, but I think we’ll have our first on Sunday. Steve borrowed Verne Smith’s twelve gauge shot gun and shot a chicken hawk with it. He brought him home and, I think he looked sort of cute. That’s the first time I’ve seen one close. 
In your last letter you said you didn’t hear from me yet. I hope the letter had reached you after you wrote last. I’ll do my best to write to you as often as I can. 
I think it is going to rain again because the bugs are flying all around the lamp here and on this letter too. Maybe I’ll fold a few into it and send them to you. Ha! Ha! Well so long for now. 
Steve says to tell you he heard that Joe and Willie enlisted in the Merchant Marine. Well, I must close now. 
Your sister,
Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment